Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tailoring - Final Project

This past spring term I was lucky enough to take a Tailoring class from the Advanced Sewing professor, Dr. Burnham.  Technically to fulfill the prerequisites for the class you have to have taken Beginning Sewing Construction, Intermediate Construction, and either Patternmaking or Advanced Construction, but since the class is only taught once every other year Dr. Burnham graciously made an exception and allowed me to participate anyway.
The class was a great learning experience, and the samples and final project were extremely intense. We learned how to pad stitch, mark roll lines in collars, create and insert a lining in to a jacket, sew bound buttonholes, and many other useful and interesting techniques.  After that we made a tailored jacket for ourselves.  I selected a beautiful deep purple wool fabric from an awesome store called Yellow Bird Fabrics found in Salt Lake County, and found my fun lining on fashionfabricsclub.com.  All in all I think the jacket turned out alright, although I have to admit I'm not sure how often I'll end up wearing it.  While it was interesting to learn Tailoring techniques, they create a rather hard shape that I don't totally love.
Finished jacket

Jacket inside - shows fun lining!

No comments:

Post a Comment